Importance of Tenses in English Grammar

In English language, tenses play a significant role in constructing a meaningful sentence for the readers.  Tenses are primarily categorized into past tense, present tense and future tense. The tenses are an important part of English grammar. It shows the time of an action or state of being that is usually shown by a verb. The verb ending is changed in order to show the present, past or future time. Hence, a tense act as a verb, so as to indicate what happen when.

It is important to understand the different tenses when it comes to English language. While writing a sentence, you need to know when to use present tense, past tense or future tense. The words ‘Tense’ is derived from Latin word ‘tempus’ which mean time. It is mainly used to explain an action or event that is described by the verb and the time. Let us understand the different tenses that describe an action or event by changing its form.

Types of Tenses

1. Present Tense:

•    Simple present tense: It is used to explain an action, event or condition that is happening in the present. For example, I play or I eat.
•  Present continuous tense: It describes an ongoing action or an action that is still going. For instance, I am playing or I am eating. 
•    Present perfect tense: It indicates an action that began in the past and continues into the present. For example, I have played or I have eaten.
•   Present perfect continuous tense: It is used to describe an action that has been taking place for some time and is still ongoing. For example, I have been playing or I have been eating.

2. Past Tense:

•  Simple past tense: It is used to explain an event or an action that has happened in the past. For example, I played or I ate.
•  Past continuous tense: It is used to describe an event or an action that is ongoing in the past. For instance, I was playing or I was eating.
•  Past perfect tense: It refers to an action or event that took place in the past. For example, I had played or I had eaten.
•  Past perfect continuous tense: It describes a continuing action in the past that began before another past action began or interrupted the first action. For instance, I had been playing or I had been eating.

3. Future Tense:

•  Simple future tense: It is used when we plan to do something. For example, I will play or I will eat.
•  Future continuous tense: It describes a continuing action that will happen in the future. In short, it refers to an action ongoing in the future. For instance, I will be eating at 8 o’clock or I will be playing at 6 o’clock.
•  Future perfect tense: It refers to an action that will happen in the future before another action takes place. For example, I shall have played before 5 o’clock or I shall have eaten before 9 o’clock.
•  Future perfect continuous tense: It indicates a continuing action, which will be completed at a specified time in the future. For instance, I shall have been playing or I will have been eating.

8 comments :

  1. Indeed interesting information for students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! Laura James. I want to give more information to students which makes them easy to learn and gain knowledge. Share my blog and help students in boosting their knowledge.

      Delete
  2. Great everything! Lots of useful resources . Your site is far informative and effective to those who are in need of more teaching techniques and materials on Learn English Grammar . Much kudos to you for pulling it off! Keep them coming .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information in your article on English Grammar. Explains very well. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this website. I'm hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own, personal web site.now ;

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm extremely pleased to uncover this site. I need to to thank you for ones time for this wonderful read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it and i also have you book marked to look at new stuff in your website.

    ReplyDelete

English Grammar