What are modals? Explain with examples.

A modal refers to a type of auxiliary verb or helping verb, which is used with other verbs to show possibility, obligation, ability, advice or permission. Modals give extra information about the function of the main verb that follows it. Some of the features of modal verbs are listed below:

•    Modal verbs never change their form (spelling).
•   They have no infinitive or participle (past/present).
•  They are primarily used to express possibility, certainty, obligation, necessity, willingness and ability.
•    The modal ‘must’ and ‘can’ need substitute verb in order to express ability or obligation in different tenses.


Types of Modals and Semi-Modals


•    Can/Could/Be able to
•    Will/Would
•    Must/Have to
•    May/Might
•    Shall/Should

Examples of Modal

1.    Can
•    I can speak Spanish (Ability)
•    Can you help me? (Request)
•    Can I go to the club? (Permission)

2.    Could
•    I could speak Spanish (Ability to do- past tense)
•    Could you help me? (Request- past tense)
•    Could I go to the club, please? (Polite question)

3.    Will
•    Will you please be quiet? (Request)
•    I will stop drinking. (Promise)
•    I think he will come back soon. (Prediction, Assumption)

4.    Would
•    Would you please pick up the phone? (Request)
•    I would do anything for you. (Promise)
•    Would she be the one who ruined her life?  (Prediction)

5.    Must
•    I must go to the hospital today. (Necessity or Force)
•    You must see the beautiful birds. (Advice, Recommendation)
•    I must go now. (Obligation)

6.    May
•    May I help you? (Polite suggestion)
•    May I go to the movie? (Permission)
•    It may rain tomorrow (Possibility

7.    Might
•    Sherry said she might come. (Possibility – past tense)
•    It might be his last chance to pass the test (Possibility)
•    Might I suggest an idea? (Polite permission)

8.    Should
•    You should walk slowly in a rainy weather. (Advice)
•    Should I call a doctor (Suggestion)
•    I shouldn’t be late. The bus generally arrives on time. (Expectation)

No comments :

Post a Comment

English Grammar